Global Perspectives: Using English to develop academic skills and social interaction in a worldwide context
Last year SBS was pleased to introduce Cambridge Global Perspectives in Primary, Lower Secondary and as an IGCSE subject. It was removed from the IGCSE course offerings this year, but due to popular demand, we are bringing it back for Term 2, starting in January 2020.
While Global Perspectives develops important skills related to academics, it also uses English as a common language to learn about and communicate with people and cultures around the world in a social context as well.
Global Perspectives is not the same as other subjects in a traditional curriculum. The content of the curriculum is the world we live in. Within this context, students learn:
- how to find information about our world and key issues within it
- think and reflect on the world and the key issues
- understand their own place in the world
- act thoughtfully, realistically, and purposefully to improve our world
- communicate information, ideas, and reasoning to others in our world
A wide variety of skills are developed through this process and culminate in planning and delivering a team research project, an individual research report, and taking a written examination at the end of the two year course of study.